Ditch single-use sandwich baggies (or most of them at least) by swapping to reusable snack/sandwich bags.
These bags feature a food safe water resistant lining that has been tested for over 300 washes in the laundry, no exposed seams, and a fold-over top to keep items inside. Bags are handmade from consciously obtained fabrics and are sewn in very small batch, limited runs. They measure approximately 6" wide x 7" tall - perfect for a sandwich, and are laundry safe.
Though called "snack bags" these little treasures have countless uses. Some include:
- sandwiches or snacks for school, work, car rides, hiking, and picnics
- pet treats - really good for keeping your pockets clean while training or for separating types of treats
- makeup bag for makeup essentials
- a wet bag for a single cloth diaper or swim suit (or anything else wet)
- purse organization
- toiletries when traveling (great for soap!)
- food storage in the fridge or pantry
- a replacement for nearly any time you would use a single-use sandwich bag
The lining fabric has been tested for over 300+ washes in the laundry! Depending on how soiled the they are, these bags can be turned inside out and cleaned with a quick wipe down at the sink, with soap and water, or laundered in the washing machine. Just air dry if possible.
Save the planet and save your budget by investing in reusable snack bags.
Cost comparison to single-use plastic zipper bags
SINGLE USE BAG ESTIMATE:
2 bags used for lunches 5 days per week & 5 bags used at home for leftovers, etc.
= 15 single-use bags per week; which is 780 bags per year.
$15.13 for a box of 280 single-use bags, the yearly cost would be $42.15
REPLACE THESE WITH:
4 reusable bags (2 for daily lunches, and 2 for home use)
the cost would be $17 x 4 = $68.00
This swap will save you $58.45 and 2,340 single-use plastic bags over the course of three years, and can continue being used long into the future
- Most fabrics used by The Greener Gift are secondhand, deadstock, or upcycled. Occasionally we need to purchase new and typically do so from small businesses. In the case of sandwich/snack bags, the lining fabric needed to be purchased new, and for it to be food safe and waterproof it had to be a partially synthetic fiber. Much consideration was put into the current choice of linings in order to give you a quality product with with as sustainable and responsible of a fabric as we could. Here are the details of the very conscious choice that was made:
The lining fabric is ProSoft FoodSAFE® Organic Cotton Waterproof PUL Fabric and is made waterproof with a high quality, phthalate free polyurethane. It is durable, washable, and lasts 2-3 times longer than other PULs because if it's unique process. There are no harmful agents used, and it is compliant with CPSIA phthalate guidelines. It is 80% organic cotton and 20% polyurethane. 100% Free of PFAS & PFOA. It is BPA free. The unique process permanently melt-bonds our specially-treated TPU film to the fabric without toxic solvents. The process emits no toxic waste or VOC's that are harmful to the environment. It is made in the USA.
The outer fabric is GOTS certified organic and from a small, woman-owned, artisan fabric designer.
- There are feline sewing helpers regularly present, so all Greener Gift products are very much not from a pet free location. Every effort is made to send packages free of cat hair, but we feel it's important to inform you in case you have severe allergies.